Welcome to my blog.
We are an Australian couple, currently living in Taiwan as English teachers. On top of trying to learn Chinese and trying not to die everyday on the crazy Taiwanese roads, we are also trying to conceive our first child through using Chinese medicine. Join us on our journey through herbs and acupuncture, and every day Taiwanese life.

Saturday 22 October 2011

Finding an English speaking Chinese medicine doctor in rural Hsinchu

So, after we both thought this was our month, only to have "my friends" turn up yesterday, Mr Man and I finally decided to go and do the rounds of the Chinese medicine doctors in the hope of finding one that spoke English.

After bidding a sad yet happy farewell to Cocoa and Charcoal (they moved to their new fur-ever homes today) we put poppy on her lead and walked all over town.
So far we have found 4 chinese medical clinics here in our small town.
The first clinic spoke no English AT ALL but with my limited Chinese I managed to convey that we were trying to have a baby. The doctor recommended herbs (5000NT = AU$180 for a months supply). Being a little more expensive that we had hoped, and also not being asked any questions at all about my cycle or anything, we decided to keep walking.
Clinic number 2 had a doctor who spoke okay English - certainly enough to get by on. He also recommended herbs and said that he wasnt an acupuncturist so didnt know how helpful it would be. He gave me his card and the card of the acupuncturist at the same clinic and said to come back on a weekday. He said that he would most likely prescribe me a mixture of herbs (all vegetarian) for 7 weeks, which should be enough to completely balance my cycle and help us to conceive although I would have to abstain from alcohol and a couple of other foods for that time. It would cost 500NT a week ($18), much cheaper than the first clinic.
Both the doctor and nurse completely ignored me at the third clinic so I turned around and walked out.
The 4th clinic is one I stumbled upon last week. The nurse spoke excellent english (although she has since changed jobs) and said that the doctor also spoke some English. The doctor was an acupuncturist who did basic herbs. One acupuncture treatment is 100NT ($3.30) with medicare or 300NT ($10) without. I haven't received my medicare card yet so it would be at the higher rate.

So we are thinking to either try the 4th clinic, or the 2nd clinic.... It's a difficult decision... I might go to each clinic for treatment once and see which one I like better.

But, atleast we have actually started on the path!

1 comment:

  1. Go Robby! Happy that your taking steps forward, however, I wanna see the promised pics of pinacolada Luba and coffee vag spray... I don't want to have to sue you false advertising! X

    ReplyDelete